Today we're working with chickpeas, a true pantry staple that's affordable, versatile, and full of protein. This cozy, crunchy dish pairs well with mixed greens, greek yogurt, and fresh herbs for a light lunch or a fried egg for a savory breakfast. Don’t be afraid to get creative or substitute based on what you have in your home. This recipe is your new, 30-minute way to turn a simple can into a satisfying meal.
Oven Roasted Chickpeas
Makes: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 small onion or 2 small shallots diced
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (alternatively 2 bay leaves)
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- Paprika for serving
- Mixed greens (optional)
- Greek yogurt (optional)
- Crusty bread (optional)
- Eggs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 1 tbs of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for approx 3 mins.
- Add garlic and saute for an additional 2 mins until onions are golden.
- Remove from heat and transfer into an oven-safe baking dish.
- Add the drained chickpeas, capers, salt, pepper and fresh thyme or dried bay leaves.
- Pour the remaining olive oil over the chickpeas and stir gently to combine.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 mins until mixture is bubbling and chickpeas are softened.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with feta cheese and paprika.
- Cool slightly and serve over mixed greens, or with a dollop of greek yogurt and fresh herbs.
- Finally, don't forget to try reheating for breakfast with a fried egg or try with canned tuna and a little mayo or yogurt for lunch.
Questions? Text us.
Connect with a culinary expert from our community. We can walk you through the recipe, suggest ingredient swaps, or help you improvise if you make a mistake (it happens). Consider us your friend in the kitchen.